ITFN 3601 Assignments
Project 1: List management
Monday, March 12th, 2018, 11:59 PM
Write a program that exercises the list management features of the
programming language of your choice. Python is strongly suggested.
Be sure to only use the latest 2.7 version of Python for your
- Create a list of lists with unique elements of your choosing. For
example (which cannot be used by anyone) a list of polygons consisting of
the length of each of their sides. So a [5,5,5] would be an isoceles
triangle with 3 sides of length 5. Be sure to post a description of your
list elements and the operations you plan to execute on them to the D2L
forum in order to guarantee that they are unique for each student.
- Insert another element (as specified above) into that list. This does not require user input.
This step cannot be combined with the previous step.
- Print the list.
- Create a new list from the one above where each inner list elements are
transformed or rearranged. Examples include sorting elements or performing
an arithmetic operation such as doubling upon each element.
- Write a filter function that categorizes each of the inner list
elements in some way. For example, with polygons there are regular
polygons, in which all sides are the same length, and non-regular polygons,
where the sides are not the same length.
Note that this function should return
back a list of boolean values True/False for each inner element in the
Please attempt to generate this list of booleans with a single line of
code within the function.
- Execute the function on the your list, saving the results and then print the list of True/False
- Create a new list of filtered elements from the original list. The new list should
only contain elements from the original list that filter to true from the
filter list. So for example if the filter was for regular polygons, then
the filtered list would only contain regular polygons.
Please attempt to generate this new filtered list with a single line of code.
- Print the new list of filtered list elements.
- Delete a specific element from the list of filtered list elements
(ask the user for the index of the target)
- Print the final list of filtered elements showing the removal of the
- A zip file containing your program.
- A video that explains and demonstrates the project. Screencasts are
acceptable. Audio is optional. The video must have the following sections:
- An introduction that explains the purpose of the project.
- An explanation, including a visual display, of your program
Be sure to display the code along with an explanation of its contents.
- A demonstration of your program executing.